Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pursuit of a Better Gift Tag

I told you I'm not crafty! But here I am making these craft-like paper gift tags to be presented to area shops. Sure they're cool, but they require a certain dexterity and endurance. There's a bit of assembly line construction going on, and I'm born and raised on original sin. They are one-of-a-kind, but there's going to be hundreds of them (i hope) by the time I get my line going!

My good friend inspired me, or should I say commanded me to make gift tags. She's always giving me great advice, but y'know I'll "yes" you to death before I even consider it. I'm all about self-sabotage. When I finally showed her my sample, there wasn't an immediate reaction like a squeal or gasp. I could tell by her initial look that it took awhile for them to grow on her. As time went by during our visit over coffee, her compliments would get closer and closer apart within the conversation. Thank goodness. Now she makes a point to remind me in e-mails how much she really likes my gift tags. Lord, there are men and women sacrificing their lives for me so that I can make gift tags! I better make them good. It ain't art folks, but it's keeping me out of a funk for now.

Why do I do what I do? I'm surrounded by paper scraps. I can't throw away anything bigger than an attractive 3x3 inch square. Especially if it's 110lb weight. I still have my boot box (see post "Wanna make..." filled with paper remnants. I have to create something before it becomes campfire kindling! I'm sure my mere stash makes me a lightweight next to some of these scrapbook nuts. I'm not a scrapbooker or a big time rubber stamper. It's too scary and conforming, but I certainly think ripping, folding, embossing, painting, collaging and gluing paper is way awesome. That's why I'm writing this post because I just want to justify why I'm making these domestic gift tags. I'm doing it for my friend to honor one of her heartfelt suggestions. I'm doing it to make a few bucks and I'm doing it for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!

No comments: