Saturday, December 06, 2008

December Thoughts


30 days hath September,
April, June, and November.
All the rest have 31
But February’s the shortest one.
With 28 days most of the time,
Until Leap Year gives us 29.

It was first grade with Mrs. Grew that we recited this lesson. I remember just moving my lips and observing her and hearing the rest of the class chanting along in perfect rhythm. I had no idea what the hell they were talking about. Now, 36 years later, I know way more than I want to and I would prefer to return to being the toe-haired girl simply moving her lips knowing that somehow I was in good care.

I fondly recall quite a few magical moments in my elementary years. I remember sitting on the floor gazing up at my music teacher Mrs. Galloway with her long Lynn Anderson blonde hair. She played her guitar for us and swear I could still smell the pages of her spiral music book that held the whimsical songs she taught us. I remember another time sitting on the carpeted floor with a visiting teacher. I'm not sure what she was teaching, but I remember her taking a perfect piece of chalk and making the most beautiful circle. I was so moved that my voice broke through and said, "That's a good circle!" She thanked me. There was also the memory of my classmates and I practicing Goldilocks and the Three Bears play. I remember my teacher scolding me as I said my line, "This porridge is too hot..."

"Karen, how can we hear you if you don't take your hair out of your mouth?" She sighs. Goldilocks eats porridge, Take 5.

This year is almost over and I've used up all of my takes. This is the last scene for the year. There is no particular title, but there is a spirit-filled theme I believe in. It is as silent as snow falling on a powdered filled street and it is as certain as a night star. It is within all of us and it is who we all are. "Unto us a child is born" take 2009.









No comments: